By Michael Elmore
Hi, everyone! I know it’s been a long time since my last post. In October, I was diagnoised with diabetes. As a result, in the last few months, I had to focus on my health. I appreciate everyone’s support during this time, and while I am not entirely out of the woods, I am on the path next to the exit after losing 40 pounds from changing my food intake.
To that end, we’ve developed our new direction. We will journey into the depths of the deepest caverns of how to maintain the flavors that we love in comfort foods, while also making the dishes a bit lighter and healthier to enjoy!
We hope you’ll stick with us in this new direction and join us on this adventure! Today, as our launch post, we’ve developed a lighter take on a taco salad, and we are introducing our first video! So grab your spatula, and join us in our new beginnings!
Chicken Taco Salad
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ small red onion, sliced into half moons
- 2 scallions, sliced, omitting white parts
- 2 limes, juice and zest
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the vegetable oil, cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and salt into a small bowl and mix into a paste. Coat the chicken with the paste and let marinate while the oven is heating or up to overnight (in the fridge if not making right away).
- Bake in the oven until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit, approximately 30 to 35 minutes. Use a thermometer to verify internal temperature.
- Take the cooked chicken out of the oven and let rest on a cutting board. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine all the vegetables and toss to incorporate them well. In a mason jar, combine the lime juice, zest, salt and pepper to taste, and the extra virgin olive oil. Cover the jar and shake well until the vinaigrette has come together.
- Slice the chicken and add to the salad bowl. Dress the salad with the dressing – leftover dressing may be stored in the fridge. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe looks delicious – light and healthy and very flavorful! Video is a great addition. Looking forward to new posts!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks! We are aiming for weekly posts with a big announcement on July 1, 2020!
Thanks! If you give it a try, post a picture of it!
Made this dish yesterday (substituted fish for chicken based on dietary preferences in my household) – great recipe!! We all loved it and thought it was delicious – great mix of spices and flavors. Thanks for this wonderful recipe!